Central School District 13J was formed by consolidating Monmouth and Independence schools. In February 1949, land was purchased to build Central High School. The original building was completed in August 1950 and opened in September 1950 to just over 300 students.
Classroom additions were made in 1955 through 1957, including a music room, science labs, and home economics expansion.
Classrooms were added to accommodate about 400 students. A new library and wood shop were added along with the remodel of the gym basement. By the end of the 60's, approximately 500 students were enrolled. In November 1965, a fire broke out in the basement of the gym during an assembly due to faulty electrical wiring. Students were quickly released from the assembly just as the gym floor caved in,shooting flames to the gym ceiling. The fire completely demolished the gym. Fortunately, no one was hurt. A new gym was built and opened in the fall of 1966.
Major remodeling and additions were made in 1982-1983 with anew cafeteria and stage, new offices and library, as well as other classrooms. A new wood-shop and welding complex were added with the demolition of the detached buildings on the east side of the school. A state of the art home economics and art rooms were also a part of the remodel.
A second gym was opened in 1997 with more remodeling. The remodel result in the loss of the Central courtyard, which had been a frequent gathering place for students. In its place was built a new library and two classrooms. Enrollment increased from 600 in the 70's to over 700 in the 80's and 90's.
In 1999, a new classroom was added, an addition to the business and management built, a classroom remodeled as a science lab, a new locker room constructed, and offices to a special education room added.